Re: Equation Numbering

> From: Bill Lawrence <bill.lawrence@ansys.com>
>
> Does anyone know of a parameter that allows one to autonumber formal
> equations, or does this require customizing the XSLT scripts?

I'm not sure I follow.
In the DocBook XSL 1.44 stylesheets, formal equations
are already autonumbered.  If an <equation> element
has a <title>, it is treated as a formal equation
and handled with the 'object.title.markup' mode
in common/gentext.xsl.  That mode
uses the text patterns in common/en.xml (or other
language if specified), and the equation
template under the title context is:

  <l:template name="equation" text="Equation %n. %t"/>

This prints 'Equation 1.1. My equation title' when I try
it.

If your equations don't have titles, then they are
treated as informal equations and are not numbered.
The DocBook Definitive Guide says that <equation>
will require a <title> in 5.0, and that <informalequation>
is for those equations without titles..

If your equations have titles and don't get numbers,
then something else is going on.

bobs
                                            email: bobs@caldera.com