Re: Any suggestions on Java problems? (with Saxon)

Jean-Baptiste,

> I find saxon much better than xsltproc in terms of output.  For example,

xsltproc does everything I need, and then some. It has been working excellent
and DV has been extremely responsive to any issues that have arisen.  Have
you tried the most recent versions?  (He just put out one this past weekend -
more info at http://www.xmlsoft.org/XSLT/ )

> However with saxon, because the JVM must be started each time you invoke
> saxon, and sadly because  of the very nature of Java,  it is much slower
> than xsltproc.

Accent the "much slower".

> If you read M. Kay's  book, I'm sure you will be  a Saxon addict.  IMHO,

I have read his book, which I found quite good.  I used Saxon for a good bit,
too, and liked it.  But... I was having some Java problems that did not allow
me to work with it, and I stumbled upon xsltproc... and I haven't looked back.
The speed increase - and not having to have a working Java environment - are
HUGE wins for me!

> > $ java com.icl.saxon.Stylesheet sample.xml indent.xsl > out-saxon.xml
>   $ java com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet sample.xml indent.xsl > out-saxon.xml
>                            ---
> Capitalize the s :-)

Geez.... operator error.  You know, I even wrote a note to myself on a white
board in my cube - and wrote the note wrong!  Thanks for the fix... it worked
fine when I did the command correctly.

> BTW, I know you tweaked a lot  the XSL stylesheets, so could you tell me
> (or maybe someone else who reads this) how you would manage to alter the
> output HTML's <title/>  tag, for example to make my  company name appear
> in all window titles.

Hmmm... I haven't actually modified that... I'd have to take a look - I'll
give it a shot tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help,
Dan

--
Dan York, Director of Training        dyork@e-smith.com
Ph: +1-613-751-4401 Cell: +1-613-263-4312 Fax: +1-613-564-7739