Re: DOCBOOK: ISO Entities

[ I'm moving this thread to docbook-apps ]

/ "Kaiser Christian (SV SC RS T33)" <Christian.1.Kaiser@at.siemens.de> was heard to say:
| >/ "Kaiser Christian (SV SC RS T33)" <Christian.1.Kaiser@at.siemens.de> was
| heard to say:
| >| how can implement symbols such as....
| >|
| >|       "DOES NOT CONTAIN AS NORMAL SUBGROUP"  <!-- iso-amsn seems to be
| >| responsible -->
| >|
| >| I know the Identifier to use is ....
| >|
| >|       PUBLIC "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Added Math Symbols: Negated
| >| Relations//EN//XML"
| >|
| >| What do I have to do with it?
[...]
| I'm using XML DocBook 5.0 with Xalan (+ FOP) to create HTML (and PDF)
| output.
| I'm sorry, I think chose the wrong word by using "implementation".
| All I want to see as a result is a mathematical symbol within my output.

No, that's what I thought you meant. Ok, here's the scoop...

If you look at the intermediate result, after Xalan but before FOP,
you'll see that the HTML or FO file contains "&#x22EB;" (or its decimal
equivalent, or its UTF-8 equivalent) everywhere that you've used
&nrtri;.

So far, so good. That's the Unicode code point for the character you want.

The backend (FOP at least) should "do the right thing". But it
probably doesn't. Unfortunately, I think the fix has to be performed
at that level.

For HTML, the problem is more difficult because many browsers aren't
expecting Unicode. If you need interoperability, you'll probably have
to switch to a graphic (and this might work for FOP as well).

Try adding something like this to the internal subset of your document:

 <!ENTITY nrtri "<inlinemediaobject>...</inlinemediaobject>">

Where the inlinemediaobject you select prints the character you want
at the right size.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--