Re: toc generation

> From: Gerrit Kuilder <gkuilder@portalyx.com>
>
> Hello All,
> docbook-apps
> I have been using Norm's xsl sheets for generating html and am now
> writing my own, mainly focused on dockbookx and heavy duty publishing
> software.
>
> Now I want to be able to generate in the documents the Table Of
> Contents. I have spent some hours looking at various examples to give me
> some ideas and searched the web to no avail.
>
> I will see how far I get but maybe someone has allready done something
> and is willing to share.
>
> I need to link to and fro through ID/IDREF.

Well, you can't do much better than Norm's XSL stylesheets
for examples.  Granted, they aren't exactly simple, but they
are well designed and implemented.

His approach is to generate the TOC when the document is
processed for output, and the TOC goes to the output as
well.  It never exists as generated XML with ID/IDREF.
Rather, for HTML output it is <a name="foo"> and <a
href="#foo">.  Similar output for FO output using the FO
linking mechanism.

If you want to generate an XML TOC, you could still model
your stylesheet using his methods but outputing
XML elements instead.

bobs
                                            email: bobs@caldera.com