Converting LaTeX commands to DocBook, DSSSL?

Hi,

I decided to try moving some of my old documentation from LaTeX to
docbook.  I'm using a redhat Linux 7.1 system with openjade 1.3
(-13), jadetex 3.3 (-1) and writing in xml docbook 4.1.2.  I've not
had any problems adding new elements to the DTD by following the
examples in the DocBook book.  However, where I'm getting into
trouble is something like:

    \newcommand{\param}[1]{\index{#1@\texttt{#1}}%
    \ifHtml%
    {\Link{P#1}{}\HCode{<SPAN CLASS="Param">#1</SPAN>}\EndLink}%
    \else%
    {\texttt{#1}}%
    \fi}

This LateX command will index it's argument, set it in Courier
and make a link to the reference page if we're working with
some output that supports links.

Ignoring the linking for the moment, how do I create a DSSSL
element that indexes without copying the indexing code into the
code for element param?  Just copying the code for indexing seems
crude - there should be a better way.  I guess I want something
like:

    (element param ((indexterm) (primary) $mono-seq$))

But, of course that doesn't work.  Am I even taking the correct
approach?  My stylesheet works for simple cases like:

    (element ddnx ($mono-seq$))

I went through all the XML books in the bookstore the other day,
and if they even mention DSSSL, it is mostly to say "too
complicated to cover, but here's a simple example".

Thanks,

Mike

-
Mike Porter <mike@udel.edu>
PGP Fingerprint: F4 AE E1 9F 67 F7 DA EA  2F D2 37 F3 99 ED D1 C2