Internal links not working in PDF file

I am using the fo/docbook.xsl stylesheets (v 1.4.5) and FOP 0.2.02 to
convert my xml files to PDF. The process works pretty well, although the
internal links in the PDF file do not work.
After applying the fo/docbook.xsl stylesheet to my source document, I opened
the converted .fo file and noticed that in the process, all the IDs I had
specified in my target (section and title) elements were replaced with an
arbitrary number (such as id="N2828"). However, the linkend attributes I had
assigned in the source file (to the xref and link elements) were correctly
assigned to the internal-destination attribute of the <fo:basic-link>
element in the .fo file. When I manually revised the .fo file by replacing
the ID numbers in the target elements with the original IDs, then applied
FOP to the revised .fo file, the links work.
Do you have any idea what might cause this problem?

Brad Thacker
Technical Writer
J.D. Edwards World Source Company
(303) 334-8786