Re: Avoiding extra linebreaks in <li> items in Oper a

/ "Bang, Steinar" <Steinar.bang@tandbergtv.com> was heard to say:
| IMO one should always restrict generated HTML to the subset of the
| standard, that works correctly on the greatest number of browsers.

As time passes, I find that I'm becoming less and less tolerant of
browsers that don't properly implement standards. OTOH, as I posted,
Opera behavior in this case might be "correct".

| I haven't looked into what the example does yet, but if what it does
| in a <listitem>, I don't see anywhere a browser would break, and
| it would fix two cases (Opera, and the HTML to text converters
| the first person in the thread was talking about).

It's easy to fix for the first para in a listitem, but the first
element in a list item can be abstract, address, anchor, authorblurb,
beginpage, blockquote, bridgehead, calloutlist, caution,
classsynopsis, cmdsynopsis, constraintdef, constructorsynopsis,
destructorsynopsis, epigraph, equation, example, fieldsynopsis,
figure, formalpara, funcsynopsis, glosslist, graphic, graphicco,
highlights, important, indexterm, informalequation, informalexample,
informalfigure, informaltable, itemizedlist, literallayout,
mediaobject, mediaobjectco, methodsynopsis, msgset, note, orderedlist,
para, procedure, productionset, programlisting, programlistingco,
qandaset, remark, screen, screenco, screenshot, segmentedlist,
sidebar, simpara, simplelist, synopsis, table, tip, variablelist, or
warning. You want me to special case them all? That'd be deeply
intrusive. And even if that was desired, how would you propose to
speical case something like <screen> where the <pre> is surely
necessary.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--