Re: correct way to customize FO-stylesheets

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 12:31:09PM +0100, Martin.Stemplinger@hvbsystems.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm using docbook-xsl with fop to generate PDF. This works quite well, but
> the resulting output is rather simple. I'd like to enhance the stylesheet to
> resemble our corporate design.
>
> Now the question is: what is the "correct" way to do this? I know how to
> define custom
> <fo:page-master-sequence> and related elements, but being lazy I'd like to
> reuse as much as possible from norm's great stylesheets :->.
>
> Any hints?

First, thank Norm for designing the stylesheets to
be customized.  8^)

You can create a customization layer that changes just
what you want changed and leaves the rest in place.
See http://www.dpawson.co.uk/docbook/styling/custom.html
for the general method of customizing.

You can customize many aspects of the page masters using
the parameters defined in the stylesheets.  The parameters
are documented in fo/param.xml (that's .xml, not .xsl)
in the stylesheet distribution.
The actual set of default parameters is in fo/param.xsl.

To further customize the fo page layout, you'll need to
add a template named "setup.pagemasters" to your
customization to override that template in
the stylesheet.  The existing template is in the file
fo/pagesetup.xsl.  If you keep the same master-names, but
change the settings, then your new page masters will
fit right in.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com