Re: Getting the right Doctype for xsltproc?

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:07:40PM -0600, ttg@charter.net wrote:
> Some questions:
>
> First, I am still, despite the best efforts of a
> couple of you, seemingly a clueless newbie...sigh
> for that I apologize in advance...
>
> I can't find out how to build the right DOCTYPE to
> have xsltproc parse my little xml file.  I created a
> very simple one just to see if I could get SOMETHING
> to work.  Bob Stayton and Norm Walsh have helped
> a lot, but I am still a little lost????
>
> Bob's three step process seems to be working, at
> least xsltproc runs now, it just throws up all over me
> when I give it a file.
>

> As I understand the process...please correct me if
> I am wrong:
>
> 1. Create an xml (Docbook) document inside a recognized
>     name like <book></book>.
> 2.  Pass same to xsltproc giving xslt the dtd to use,
>      in this case docbook.xsl?  (Here is where I start
>      going off into the weeds...)
> 3.  xsltproc processes the document and creates
>      an html file viewable in a standard browser.
>
> How does xslt get the dtd?  Is this magic?
>
> What does jade do?  I have tried to make that
> little puppy work, too???
>
> Um, yes, I am still confused??!!??

I've found that setting up proper paths for all
the components is the biggest problem when
just getting started.

Try processing this short XML file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE chapter SYSTEM "/xml/docbookDTD/docbookx.dtd">
<para>Welcome.
</para>
</chapter>

You'll need to edit that path after SYSTEM in the DOCTYPE
line to match the location of the main docbook DTD file
on your system.  So
that answers one of your questions: the file can tell the
processor where the DTD is.

Then this command should work:

xsltproc /xml/docbook--xsl-1.45/html/docbook.xsl  myfile.xml > myfile.html

Again, you'll need to adjust the path to docbook.xsl in
the example to match the location of the docbook.xsl file
on your system.

All other DTD and XSL files should automatically be found
relative to the main docbookx.dtd and docbook.xsl files, so
you shouldn't need to supply any other path stuff.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com