looking to develop training materials using docbook

  as a newbie to docbook and xml, i'm hoping someone else
has done something like this who can give me a hand.

  currently, i have a number of student manuals i use in
courses that i teach professionally.  for historical reasons,
those manuals were written using m$ word and powerpoint.
for each course, i created a set of powerpoint slides for
projection during the couse (containing, naturally, bullet
points), while i embedded those same slides in a word document,
where the slide would take up the top half of each page, and
the bottom half would be supplementary text.

  this was (and still is) convenient since, no matter where i
go to teach, there is always a projector hooked up to a windows
box with powerpoint.

  i'd dearly like to get away from the m$ solution, as long
as i can do pretty much the same thing -- have a projectable
presentation with bullet points, and have those same images
in a larger manual.

  is there a pre-made solution for this?  anyone done something
like this that they's care to share with me?  thanks for any
guidance.

rday