Re: Getting .fo to .some-sort-of-text?

Hello Tim,

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 ttg@charter.net wrote:
> OK, I am working along just fine, using
> xsltproc I can get XML --> HTML just fine.
> Using the same tool, I can get XML --> .fo
> just fine.  How do I go from .fo to some
> sort of text format?

IMO you don't go through FO to produce text format as FO specifies
extensive formatting options e.g. for print output. Usually you produce
HTML using db-xsl and then use any suitable text-only-browser like lynx or
w3m (if you need to have table-layout) and advise it to dump its rendered
output into a text file.

Nik Clayton and Norman Walsh provided nice graphs showing the necessary
processing steps for different output formats using various tools. See
e.g. the attached file xmlpub.png from the following mail (sorry can't
provide a link to the archives as I'm currently cut off the INet):