RE: Chunking with Xalan

I haven't used Xalan with Norm's stylesheets in a while, but I can tell
you that I used to get the same error in some cases with Xalan and 1.41.
We ultimately solved it by using Saxon for that part of the process,
which is considerably faster for chunking anyway. I recall that when I
encountered the error it was usually with large-ish documents and it
would go away if I tinkered with the strucuture of the document (like
removing a particular section would make it go away--unfortunately I
needed that section). I don't know who's bug it is, but I couldn't get
close enough to post a test case that I thought would help someone
figure it out.

Saxon (< version 6.4.1 at least) has a problem with resolving entities
(or more correctly the AElfred parser does--one solution would be to use
a different parser with Saxon). It resolves relative paths to external
entities as being relative to to place they're referenced rather than
declared. Apparently this has been fixed, but I haven't tested it yet.
Our solution was to use Xalan for an initial xsl step that resolved
entities and preformed some preprocessing we needed, then use Saxon for
subsequent steps.

Good luck,
David