Re: selecting imagedata for fo and html,scaling using depth

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 04:37:07AM -0500, Stephen Bannasch wrote:
> I would like to use a scaled high-resolution image for
> fo and an unscaled lower resolution image for html output.
>
> [workaround using scaling]

You have raised a good issue regarding
the processing of images.  Quoting the Definitive Guide
reference page for <mediaobject>:

  "For example, a MediaObject might contain a video, a high
  resolution image, a low resolution image, a long text
  description, and a short text description. In a 'high
  end' online system, the video is used. For print
  publishing, the high resolution image is used. For other
  online systems, either the high or low resolution image is
  used, possibly including the short text description as the
  online alternative. In a text-only environment, either the
  long or short text descriptions are used. "

This sounds like exactly what you want, but
the current XSL stylesheets don't do this.  The html
and fo stylesheets both use the same 'select.mediaobject'
template, which is in common/common.xsl.   That template
currently doesn't try to select an image appropriate for
its output medium.  I suspect this is just an unfinished
feature of the stylesheets.

It isn't obvious to me exactly *how* the processor would
select the right image for fo versus html if two were
provided.  None of the imagedata attributes specify
resolution or suggested output format.  The role attribute
might be used, but that would require enumerating a set of
values.  I don't imagine the XSL processor poking into
graphics files to discover their relative resolutions,
so I think some new attribute is needed to enable
the proper selection of the imagedata.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com