Re: Re: several messages

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 05:20:15PM +0100, Steffen Maier wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Bob Stayton wrote:
> >
> > [snipped FOP table workaround]
> >
> > That restored tables, and the caption is there.
>
> Don't you loose the id attribute from fo:table-and-caption this way? I
> guess this id is important for getting working hyperlinks within the
> resulting pdf. I haven't tried it out yet, but would it be sufficient to
> add the id to the fo:block, that contains the actual caption?

Ah, I think you do lose the id attribute.  So that's why my
list of tables in the front has no page numbers.  8^)

> Inspired by Norm's fo-path-for-fop.xsl -- which is of course obsolete as
> of Fop-0.20.3rc -- I created a similar post-transform stylesheet which
> handles the table-and-caption deficiency of Fop-0.20.3rc while trying to
> keep hyperlinks and page references to tables working.

I'd be interested in seeing your patch.

> Why did I use a post-transform stylesheets instead of overriding the
> corresponding xsl:templates in a driver file?
>
> Because I think db-xsl generates xsl-fo according to the recent
> recommendation which is very good. Doing so "motivates" development of fo
> renderers to meet the specs. Furthermore there are renderers besides Fop
> which don't have the same deficiencies (but maybe others, alas). Sure, one
> could easily make a driver for every other renderer. But if you experiment
> or need e.g. pdf output from different renderers for the same docbook
> document, it would take much more time to transform the whole document x
> times. Generating "right" fo and patching the fo for different renderers
> seems to be of much less effort to me.

I agree that this is the right approach, as ugly as it is.  8^)
We may need to version the patch files, though:
fo-patch-for-fop-0.20.3rc.xsl.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com