Re: Visio Vector Graphics -> DocBook XSL

Some remerks regarding fonts below:

"Rankine, Alastair J (Alastair)" <arankine@avaya.com> writes:

> Some gripes:
>
> - Any text inside the Visio diagram is converted to a bitmap by (err, something). The result is lovely smooth lines and boxes with horrible jaggy text inside them. Is there any way to stop this happening?

First step is to stick with non-TFF "Standard 35 Postscript Fonts",
including Times-Roman (called "Times"), Helvetica, Symbol, Palatino,
New Century Schoolbook etc. They don't need to be embedded at all and
are handled without problems in all PDF applications.

Now just guessed for non-35 fonts: Next is to set TrueType Font:
<Substitute with Device Font> and/or TrueType Font Downloading Option:
<Outline> in the printer driver (possibly disabling the first
setting). But I doubt ghostscript embedds TTF-Fonts into PDF as
outlines, so the first variant seems more reasonable. You can of
course tell ghostscript somewhere that you have Type1-Fonts for
this-and-that font installed (if so), somewhere in Fontmap if I
remember correctly, but that's higher stuff for me.

Btw., passivetex uses Times-Roman/Helvetica with the distributed
stylesheets anyway (jadetex does so with the DSSSL-sheets), I
think. So stick with them, if possible, in your drawings.

One day somebody should write a stylesheet customization to use the
Bluesky Type1 Fonts and a suitable unicode.sty, but unfortunely I
don't have time to.

Good luck and let me know the results,

Jens