RE: docbookXML conversion utility - looking for betasites

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for your note.

We are actually providing both 1) a set of "precise conversion" rules -
which imply that the document uses specific styles, and 2) a set of
"imprecise conversion" rules - which imply that you don't know what styles
or formatting the document is using (but that there are some).  We then use
"clues" to hone in the elements - including font-size, positioning, etc.

We find that though many Word users don't use styles- they still follow
certain conventions - chapter headings are bigger than body paragraphs,
captions, etc.  This applies to PDF files and to other files.

Of course, the precise rules will be more effective for a single document,
but the imprecise rules can be applied across many different types of
documents from many different sources and still give you a reasonable
accuracy (though not necessarily 100%, and of course there are always
documents that are very difficult).  The tool does 70%-80%, and provides an
easy to use UI to do the rest.

As I said, right now we're looking for sample users with real content (PDF,
HTML, Word, etc.)  to test the software out on for our beta cycle.

Thanks,
Riz

Riz Virk, (617) 905-3518
riz@xyztechnologies.com, riz@alum.mit.edu