xsltproc processing error

This is probably a really pathetic question so please excuse me,
but I am having problems trying to validate and process an XML document
with xsltproc, the document is like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding='ISO-8859-15'?>
<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN" "file:///C:/docbook/docbkx412/docbookx.dtd">
<article>
</article>

I have processed the SGML version of this file with no problems, as expected,
the file loads up fine in epcEdit(trial version) as valid XML as expected but when
I execute the command sequence:

C:\>xsltproc C:\docbook\docbook-xsl\html\docbook.xsl DocBook.xml > test.html

I get 64 errors all of the form

warning: failed to load external entity "../VERSION"
compilation error: file C:\docbook\docbook-xsl\html\docbook.xsl line 23 element include

for every include entry in the file "docbook.xsl", this does not occur if I actually change
to the directory, where "docbook.xsl" is, indicating that xsltproc is trying to resolve the files
it is referencing in the xsl document, relative to the current directory and not relative to the
xsl document, why is this happening?

Also, could someone tell me whats wrong with my URI in the document prologue?

Regards

AM