Re: looking for XML editor that supports outline mode

> True, but I think you can then do sgml-fold-subelement (C-c C-f C-s) to
> fold up all the child elements.

In fact, psgml mode of emacs has quite a few options that could be helpful.  Here is the page on folding elements from info psgml.  Thank you Robert and Michael for giving me cause to look at this.  I might start using it in my own work.

Folding editing
===============

   With these commands you can make parts of the text temporarily
invisible to make it easier to see the overall structure of your text.

   When folding a region all the lines but the first will be invisible.
The first line of the region will still be visible with an ellipsis at
the end.

   *Note Outline Mode: (emacs)Outline Mode.

`C-c C-f C-r'
     The region between point and mark will be folded
     (`sgml-fold-region').

`C-c C-f C-e'
     The region between the start and end of the current element will be
     folded (`sgml-fold-element').

     This command can also fold the SGML declaration or the DOCTYPE
     declaration.

`C-c C-f C-s'
     Fold all the sub elements of the current element
     (`sgml-fold-subelement').

`C-c C-s'
`C-c C-u C-l'
     Unfold the current line, assuming it is the first line of a folded
     region (`sgml-unfold-line').

`C-c C-u C-e'
     Make all lines in current element visible (`sgml-unfold-element').

`C-c C-u C-a'
     Make all lines in current buffer visible (`sgml-unfold-all').

`C-c C-f C-x'
     Unfold current element and then fold the subelements
     (`sgml-expand-element').  If the current element is folded this
     expands what is visible.

Cheerio!

Bob

Robert McIlvride (robert@cogent.ca)