Re: xmllint - xinclude

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 05:39:28PM +0100, fyl2xp1 wrote:
> OK, not really specific to docbook, well It is
> for my project which is entirely in docbook.
> But this refers to generating html output.
>
> I am using ant to compile all my docbook
> sources, this is no problem. I deciced that
> it would be a good idea to modularise
> my html pages that are serving the docbook
> documents. This was because I had a
> common menu which appeared in all
> the items so it was tedious to edit all the items'
> web pages when I wanted to add a new item.
>
> I pulled the common menu out and placed it in
> a separate XML file, then placed xincludes
> inside each of the html files to pull the common
> menu in. My problem occurs when doing this
> using xmllint and its --xinclude option.  Everything
> is output fine, except:

> &quot;../../nice.css&quot;;</style>
>
> The I need the ../../nice.css bit to be in actual
> quotes, not entity references, it seems as though
> xmllint changes these references because it thinkgs
> they are content in the html page, I have tried
> various output options with xmllint but I cannot
> seem to fix this problem.  Is there a way to do this,
> all I want --xinclude to do is, do the xinclude but leave
> the rest of my document untouched.

  First it's the wrong list to post about it. See
    http://xmlsoft.org/bugs.html
  Second XInclude applies only to XML (well it's theorically
defined in terms of the XML Infoset) and the generated resource
after XInclude is an XML file, and from an XML point of view
&quot; and '"' are completely equivalent in PCDATA.
  Now the special rule about "style" serialization of HTML
may make them different, but it's a completely different context
XML is not HTML, and once processed by an XML parser you cannot make
the difference ! Libxml will handle quote serialization appropriately
within <style> when saving an HTML resource but no such rule exists
at the XML level.

Daniel