content creation

I'm trying to get the doc process down to create some really nice docs. Using vi w/ docbook is making my fingers tired, but it certainly gives me lots of flexibility. So I went out and bought adobe acrobat thinking it was a sort of create/edit tool for creating manuals, but turns out I think it's only good for making documents into pdf files Probably a waste of $250.

So I converted all my docbook web pages into pdf's and they turned out ok, but was wondering how you guys are going about this (creating some nice user manuals) and if I understand the process correctly. Do you create the content using whatever you wish and then import/convert them into pdf's?

Anyone know of any good gui tools where I can just concentrate on the content (and maybe some that run on OSX, and don't cost too much)?

And if anyone can list a few points about adobe acrobat and how it fits in, that would help calm my nerves about the cost.

Thnxs.