Re: Manually Chunking with PIs

Janning Vygen wrote:

> The whole images and filref attribute stuff gives me lots of headache:
>
> How do i know if all imagefiles are correctly referenced. I know its
> not a question of document validation (like ID within linkend) as
> long as you dont use external entities which i do not prefer. But how
> can i check it easily? When i parse my docbook XML Document and i
> dont know from which directory my modular files belong (i am using
> XInclude to join small files together)? So i have to grep each
> document for fileref and look into the filesystem if its there????
> Or i have to xsltproc each XML file for its own to know in which
> directory it is.

The easiest way to check if all images on their place is probably to use
some HTML links validation tool on resulted HTML pages.

> I am wondering how FO->PassiveTex is doing it. If i convert my
> modular docbook document to fo, all the relative image references are
> wrong i guess. I will take a look at this... (but i cant get
> passivetex to work, always cryptic errors :-(

This depends on your directory structure setup.

> So at least i would like to see how experts are writing there docbook
> documents. How do they structure the directories for large documents.
> Where do they put images. Do they use relative or absolute path in
> filref attribute. what does their makefiles look like. Just a real
> and difficult to understand real-world-example. (i hate those easy to
> understand examples like CD and Employee Databases in every SQL book)

I mostly use something like this

Document-directory

  +--- pic   (directory for images)

  +--- src   (directory of source code fragments included in XML docs)

  +--- html  (directory for chunked HTML output)
  |    |
  |    +--pic  (symbolic link to pic directory, so I can see images in
rendered HTML output)

  DocBook XML files
  makefiles and so

and I reference images by relative path.

You can look for more complex setup into CVS repository on SourceForge
there is complete text of DocBook Definitive Guide.

					Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz