Re: Annotations Tags

From: Stephan Wiesner <stephan@stephan-wiesner.de>
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Annotations Tags
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 07:42:04 +0200

Hi list, another tag, I can't find :-)

My documents contain annotations entered by readers. They have a
mailadress, a name, date and some text. Which docbook tag might I use
for them? Note is not good, as I use this a lot.
Well, remark would be natural solution to this, with the appropriate value for the role attribute (e.g. 'reader', 'author', 'editor', etc., depending on how selectively you want to filter these).

I'd suggest that the reader info would be better organized in a separate section than per remark (also, remarks can't directly contain 'segmentedlist's). You could annotate each remark with either 'authorinitials' or the name of the author (and the date). In an appendix, for example, you could index a list of submitters w/ the name or 'authorinitials' of the submitter (I'd make this a 'variablelist'). Each varlistentry/listitem could contain a segmentedlist (with a single 'seglistitem'), with a 'seg' for each piece of submitter info (i.e. name, mailaddress, etc.). Perhaps a more natural way to do it is to put all the information in a giant segmented list, and include the 'authorinitials' as the first seg of each entry.

Remarks can contain xrefs, so you could use those to link from the remark to the corresponding entry in the feedback submitter list. That would also force you to be sure to add an entry to that list, every time you entered a new remark.

A 'quote' can be nested in 'remark', and might provide reasonably formatting of 'author' or 'authorinitials'.

If you *really* want to keep the author info coupled to each remark, you could put a segmentedlist inside a para in the authorblurb contained in the author element of the quote. You might have to adjust the stylesheets to do something reasonable, with that.

Matt