redundant pages in index

I produce PDF from DocBook XML using openjade and pdftex.  I want to make an
index and have finally managed to do this using collateindex.pl.  However I
am disappointed to find that my index turns out to have considerable
redundancy .  Indeed the collateindex.pl output warns that:

      Duplicates may be removed in the HTML backend, but in the print
      backends, it is impossible to suppress duplicate pages or coalesce
      sequences of pages into a range.

Is there no way around this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Matthew