Re: default status (draft/final) for articles

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 04:32:50PM -0400, dblack@candle.superlink.net wrote:
> Hello --
>
> I've recently installed docbook-xsl-1.55, and found that the behavior
> seemed to have changed with regard to article documents, at some point
> since 1.48.  Specifically, I'm now getting the -draft page-masters in
> my FO output, along with the draft watermark URL.
>
> I have two questions about this: first, whether it's really supposed
> to be this way (not that I leap to assume everything is a bug, but
> this change struck me as curious); and second, if it is supposed to be
> this way, how to make it not happen :-)  I've tried manipulating the
> status element, and a couple of other things, but I don't seem to be
> getting it right.
>
> This little article demonstrates the behavior -- i.e., with 1.55 it
> comes out as a draft, and with 1.48 it doesn't:
>
>   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>   <!DOCTYPE article SYSTEM "/usr/local/sgml/docbkx412/docbookx.dtd">
>   <article>
>     <articleinfo>
>       <title>Dummy Article</title>
>       <pubdate>September 29, 2002</pubdate>
>       <author>
> 	<firstname>David</firstname>
> 	<surname>Black</surname>
>       </author>
>     </articleinfo>
>     <sect1>
>       <para> Dummy text</para>
>     </sect1>
>   </article>
>
> Thanks for any info or pointers --

This is curious.  When I process your document
with the 1.55.0 fo/docbook.xsl, I don't get draft
output pages.  Something is going on in your setup.

The default setting for the parameter 'draft.mode' is
'maybe', which means the draft mode can be turned on
by elements in the document.  Specifically, I can
turn on draft by changing your example to
<article status="draft">.

When deciding whether any particular element should start
a draft page sequence, the stylesheet looks at the element
itself and its ancestors.  That lets you turn on draft in
a book element, and all the chapters will use draft page
masters.

Is it possible your stylesheets were altered to set
the 'draft.mode' parameter to 'yes' somehow?
Or the command line is setting the parameter?
Or does some ancestor element have status="draft"?

Seeing the *-draft masters in the FO output is not the
problem, because all the masters are included in every
FO file in case they are called upon.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com