Re: RE: XML catalog resolution problems

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 11:25:02AM -0600, Paul Grosso wrote:
> Many XML processors provide an option to "compile" the external
> subset for certain optimized uses, so the system identifier (in
> the doctype line) might really resolve to some compiled form,
> but the URI in the xinclude element would want to resolve to
> the uncompiled form.

  haha, that's the underlying implementation breakage which is the
cause of all this !!! This means you have internal APIs which doesn't
allow you do make the differentiation, this does not justify pushing
that differentiation at the description level, sorry :-(

> Or I might know that my application ideally supports a slightly
> different version of the DTD, so I want to map the system id
> into some other file--maybe one on my local system, or maybe
> off to the latest test version of the DTD on sourceforge--but
> the version I want to include as text in my document should be
> the official current version of the DTD.

  Hum, and you expect this to not lead to huge confusion ????
As a result all users for all XML tool chain using catalogs
suddenly MUST duplicate ALL their SYSTEM entries into URI entries
just to avoid this ? This is broken !

Daniel