Re: How to use appendixes

From: Stephan Wiesner <stephan@stephan-wiesner.de>
Date:  Wed, 06 Nov 2002 08:22:19 +0100

>Hi list,
>I want to use appendixes, but somehow it seems I got something wrong.
>Here is an example:

><para></para>
></appendix>

I am using the dsl tool chain, but the document structure should work the same in xml and sgml. As you have marked up your document, the index is an index to an appendix called MyIndex. If you want the index for your entire document, it should be simply:
at the bottom of your document.

>The same applies for bibliography and glossary. Why do I have to enter
>the empty para (or one of a list of other elements) into the appendix?

Otherwise you have an empty appendix with a bibliography and a glossary inside it.

><para></para>
><bibliography>
><title></title>

This should be:

<bibliography>
<title>My Bibliography Title</title>
</bibliodiv>
</bibliography>

In short, the <appendix/> tag should be used for things other than indices, glossaries, bibliographies, etc. If you markup a glossary inside an appendix, it its the glossary for the appendix, not for the larger document.

--
Kevin M. Dunn
Professor of Chemistry