Re: Entity defs per XML file?

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 11:48:17AM -0500, cbbrowne@acm.org wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 06:58:18 EST, the world broke into rejoicing as
> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com>  said:
> > On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Kraa de Simon wrote:
> >
> > > Ehm, not really... (-;
> > >
> > > I do not want to define all entities in main.xml (where the DOCTYPE is, as
> > > you indicated), but divide them over the different XML files where the
> > > entities are actually used.
> > >
> > > The main reason: so I can isolate the (sub)documents from the rest of the
> > > document.
> >
> > bob stayton has an explanation of how to set up modular docbook files
> > at www.sagehill.net.  i haven't had a chance to play with that yet,
> > but it sure sounds like something you should look at.
>
> It seems to work well enough; I'd be interested in hearing what is the
> XML equivalent to the following SGML...
>
> <para> <literallayout> <literal remap="tt"> <inlinegraphic
> fileref="typicalerror.txt" format="linespecific"> </literal>

In DocBook 4.2, you would use:

</literallayout>

It requires an XSLT extension function to work, and those
are available in Saxon and Xalan, but not xsltproc
currently.

If you are using xsltproc, then you can use an XInclude with
parse="text" to insert text content.  See
http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/SolveProblems.html#ExternalCode
for an example.

> I've been using the SGML form for /years/, and am now at a site where
> they'll presumably prefer XML, so I'm getting into the xsltproc
> processes, which are a bit different...
>
> Quick question: what is the XML / xsltproc equivalent to:
>    (define %use-id-as-filename% #t)
>    ???

In a stylesheet customization file, it would be:

<xsl:param name="use.id.as.filename" select="'1'"/>

On the command line, it would be:
 xsltproc  -stringparam use.id.as.filename 1 ...

                                            email: bobs@sco.com