Re: How to select <imageobject> alternativein<mediaobject>?

Bob Stayton wrote:

> I suggested in a previous message that role="html" or
> role="fo" in each imageobject could be used, with a
> stylesheet customization to act on the role value.  I'm
> wondering if this method would be appropriate as a standard
> feature of the stylesheets? That is, should the stylesheets
> designate the role attribute as the method to select
> which imageobject to use?

Nice idea, but we should investigate further how it would interfere with
profiling. Using role="html|fo" on images would mean that people
wouldn't be able to easily profile document on role attribute used on
other places.

If someone is today using profiling with something like
profile.role=foo, he must change this to profile.role=foo;html;fo unless
he will lost all images with role prsent (they will not survive
profiling on role attribute with value "foo").

So I think that at least:

1. image selection based on role attribute should be controlled by
on/off parameter
2. documentation of stylesheets should clearly state that it is not
recommended to do profiling based on role attribute if you are using it
for marking image target media

					Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz