Re: chapter numbering

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 03:53:21PM +0100, Wlodzimierz Skiba wrote:
> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com>:
> > but, semantically speaking, i *would* expect the first formatting.
> > a part is defined as just a division in a book, not a complete
> > resetting of properties like chapter numbers.
>
> I have considered above as possible explanation however then I'm confused with
> automated numbering XSL 1.57.0. It automatically adds numbering to parts and
> chapters but do not count sections. If I drop parts then I would lost one
> level of numbering. Can I control this somehow ?

You have several numbering options that can be controlled
by XSL stylesheet parameters:

label.from.part=1
------------------------
Restarts chapter numbering in each part, like you asked
for.  *However*, I don't recommend it at the moment, because
if you create an xref cross reference to a chapter, it will say
"Chapter 1", but not say which chapter.  If you are going
to restart numbering, it would be better if the chapter
were numbered like this so you could tell them apart:

Part I
  Chapter I.1
  Chapter I.2
Part II
  Chapter II.1
  Chapter II.2

But this is not a feature of the stylesheets.

section.autolabel=1
-----------------------
Turns on section numbering, in this style:

Chapter 3. Using a mouse
1.  Basic mouse actions    sect1
1.1  Left button           sect2
1.2  Right button          sect2
2.  Selecting              sect1
2.1  Click and drag
2.2  Double click

section.label.includes.component.label=1
Changes the section numbering to include the chapter number
as a prefix:

Chapter 3. Using a mouse
3.1.  Basic mouse actions    sect1
3.1.1  Left button           sect2
3.1.2  Right button          sect2
3.2.  Selecting              sect1
3.2.1  Click and drag
3.2.2  Double click

Perhaps this last option is what you are looking for.
It makes cross references precise and easy to find.

There isn't a "chapter.label.includes.part.label"
parameter to turn on chapter numbering in parts
like I.1, II.1, etc.  Maybe there should be.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com