Re: XInclude doesn't validate with xmllint

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 04:18:49PM +0000, Nicholas Atkinson wrote:
> My point was that I needed to add:
>
>    xmlns:xinclude CDATA #FIXED "http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
>
> to the <!ATTLIST of chapter
>
> and remove:
>
>    xmlns:xinclude CDATA #FIXED "http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
>
> from the <!ATTLIST of xinclude:include
>
> for the example to work.  At least, in my environment.
>

> What does XInclude do if the included document has an internal document type
> declaration that redefines the
> content models of elements, or when the included document is using DocBook
> v4.1.2 and the including document is using DocBook v4.2 ?!

As the XInclude spec says, validation is orthogonal
to inclusion.  That means the xinclude process does not
in itself validate.  Once the inclusion process has
completed, the expanded including document can be validated.
In this case it will validate the resolved document with
DocBook 4.2.  Any DTD modifications from the included
document's internal subset would not be considered, so
there might be validation errors.

I don't think it was the intention of xinclude to create
compound documents composed of different document types.
That is the SUBDOC feature of SGML that was not carried
forward into XML.  If you want to mix document types in
XML, you need to do it with namespaces.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com