Re: XInclude doesn't validate with xmllint

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 11:48:59AM -0500, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> At 4:18 PM +0000 12/6/02, Nicholas Atkinson wrote:
> >My point was that I needed to add:
> >
> >    xmlns:xinclude CDATA #FIXED "http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
> >
> >to the <!ATTLIST of chapter
> >
> >and remove:
> >
> >    xmlns:xinclude CDATA #FIXED "http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
> >
> >from the <!ATTLIST of xinclude:include
> >
> >for the example to work.  At least, in my environment.
>
> I don't think you should have had to do that. Which environment are you using?
>
> >What does XInclude do if the included document has an internal document type
> >declaration that redefines the
> >content models of elements, or when the included document is using DocBook
> >v4.1.2 and the including document is using DocBook v4.2 ?!
>
> No problems. Each document is loaded separately and then merged. Each
> original, separate document uses the DTD it references. It does not
> care what other document's may or may not use.

If you are saying that each included document is
validated against its own DTD, then that is not the case.
Only the merged document is validated, based on the DOCTYPE
of the master including document.  The inclusion process
may consult the DOCTYPE of the included document to resolve
entities, but it is not validating against those DOCTYPEs.

In general, the DocBook DTD is backwards compatible within
major release numbers.  So including some 4.1.2 content in
a 4.2 master document should work.  But you may run into
problems including 4.2 content in a 4.1.2 master document.
There are new elements in 4.2 that won't validate with
a 4.1.2 DOCTYPE.

Of course, the same is true if you tried to do this
with system entities.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com