comments on "Using the DocBook XSL Stylesheets"

Bob, your document is excellent.  I've been able to use it and get
xsltproc and xalan2 working, no problems.

A few very minor suggestions....

I find the file paths your citing rather odd and probably not very
exemplary.  For instance, in bottom of ch 5, you cite the XSL
stylesheet at the location /usr/lib/xsl/docbook/html/docbook.xsl which
doens't conform to FHS filesystem standards.  Ideally the file
locations should comply with the LSB/XML standard, although I can no
longer find that standard (!! maybe it's dead?).

The make rules in "Makefile" section of Ch 3 was rather suboptimal.
You say:

html:
         xsltproc -output myfile.html ../docbook-xsl-1.50/html/docbook.xsl myflie.xml

(Note the "myflie" typo above).

I would suggest (using your filenaming):

XSLSTYLE=../docbook-xsl-1.50/html/docbook.xsl
%.html: %.xml $(XSLSTYLE)
        xsltproc --output $@ $(XSLSTYLE) $<

.PHONY: html
html: myfile.html

It's more modular, less hard-coding, and allows make to remake as needed.