Re: Re: links between documents

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 06:08:03PM +0300, Vitaly Ostanin wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:30:10 +0000
> Lisa Carey <lisa.carey@havok.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have quite a large book broken up into chapters, each of
> > which is a separate xml file.  The book file just uses entities
> > to tie them all together. Anyway, I want to add some links
> > between chapters - "You can find out more about x here" sort of
> > thing - and am wondering how best to do it.<xref> works fine
> > within chapters, but not between them (I get a link, but it
> > doesn't go anywhere).  Do I need to use <olink>s?
>
> Yes. Look at
> http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/Olinking.html
> this works fine.
>
> Note:
> For FO output you should to make 'target.db' like for HTML
> output.
>
> Also note, what 'id' values must be uniq in the all of documents.

Um, not quite. ID values must be unique within each
document.  If you assemble a book from several chapter
files, all the IDs in the book must be unique.  But
using olink you can refer to other documents that contain
the same IDs.  With olink, it is each combination of
targetdoc and targetptr attributes that must be unique.
It's too hard to manage unique IDs across a large
document space.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com