Re: comments on "Using the DocBook XSL Stylesheets"

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 10:05:46AM +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
> At 14:33 14/12/2002 -0800, Bob Stayton wrote:
>

> >My doc covers both file path references and catalog references.
> >For those just getting started, it is simpler to point to a
> >real file on their local system.  After they get that working,
> >I have a whole chapter on XML catalogs.
>

> Having been there and suffered Bob, perhaps a mention of the symptoms of
> the processor going to the web (succeeding or failing), and how/where it
> can be fixed?
>    It shouldn't take long to persuade readers that a catalog is a good idea :-)
> I found it infuriating at first, especially when, having done it and got it all
> working, Norm produces a new version and I have to do it all again!
>
> For a full XML docbook, how many places need changing to get it
> to work?  And the assumption then is that its installed such that
> relative pathnames work.
>     ~All points I've tripped over in the past.
>     (which is another reason I'm happy to see your work :-)

The DocBook XSL stylesheet distribution itself does not use
any network references internally.  You will see them on
customizations like slides and website, although like you
say I think they are not a good idea.  Perhaps the idea
was that they require no intervention to get the
customization working (downloading the distro and setting
the path).

When I get around to creating an index for my DocBook XSL
book, I'll add an entry for "slow performance" that goes
to the catalog chapter.  8^)

                                            email: bobs@sco.com