Re: Chunking question

Thanks for you answer. The previous/next/up links are not what worry me for what I'm trying to do, as I want the result to be used in HtmlHelp without those links. Your suggestion to use <bridgehead> is interesting, although as you indicate yourself it's not a very nice solution. But if I have to...

cheers,

roel

Jeff Beal wrote:
Customizing the chunking to the extent you appear to want is quite
difficult, especially if you want to maintain reasonable previous/next/up
links in the output. I had a project where I was converting a set of
documentation from HTML into DocBook, and one of my requirements that the
chunking remained the same as it was in the original. Well, in the
original, the authors didn't follow any rules in chunking, so there are
places where I needed to chunk five sections deep and others where there
were only two, but that second level did have what would be considered
sub-sections.

What I did (and it breaks a few rules of structured editing), was to set the
chunk.section.depth parameter high enough that any section-type element
would chunk. I then used <bridgehead/> elements to create sub-sections
within a chunk. It's not a perfect solution. In fact, I'm not a big fan of
it myself. However, it does give the author very explicit control of where
to break the HTML pages.

Jeff Beal