Re: [XML-SIG] Replacing a Java tool-chain with 4Suite?

[ Follow-ups to docbook-apps, please ]

/ "Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch@rogers.com> was heard to say:
| I was asked to post a message to the docbook list regarding an error
| that arises when running Python's xmlproc_val script across a simple
| file which includes the DocBook 4.2 XML DTD like so:
|
| 8<____ test.xml ___
| <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
| <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
|                     "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd";
| [
|     ]>
| <book>
| </book>
|
| xmlproc_val gives 26 errors, 19 are of this type (all errors show in
| dbcentx.mod):
|
| E:http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbcentx.mod:308:10:
| Internal error: External PE references not allowed in declarations

I think that's a bug in xmlproc_val. External PE references are allowed
in declarations in the external subset.

| there are then 13 errors regarding multiple definitions of attributes
| similar to this:
|
| W:http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbpoolx.mod:2:2: Attribute
| 'id' defined more than once
| W:http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbpoolx.mod:3:2: Attribute
| 'lang' defined more than once
| W:http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbpoolx.mod:4:2: Attribute
| 'remap' defined more than once

I don't know what to make of the ":[234]:2" part of those messages. They
look like line numbers, but they don't make any sense.

I don't believe id, lang, or remap are declared more than once on any
element.

| and then another set of errors with a warning interspersed:
|
| E:http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbpoolx.mod:3:10:
| 'linespecific' is not an allowed value for the 'format' attribute

I wonder what element it's confused about. Anyway:

In dbpoolx.mod, a couple of elements define format:

	format		(%notation.class;) #IMPLIED

And notation.class is:

<!ENTITY % notation.class
		"BMP| CGM-CHAR | CGM-BINARY | CGM-CLEAR | DITROFF | DVI
		| EPS | EQN | FAX | GIF | GIF87a | GIF89a
		| JPG | JPEG | IGES | PCX
		| PIC | PNG | PS | SGML | TBL | TEX | TIFF | WMF | WPG
                | SVG
		| linespecific
		%local.notation.class;">

So clearly linespecific is a legal value for format. Perhaps the parser
isn't handling notations correctly?

| W:http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbpoolx.mod:2905:3:
| Attribute 'float' defined more than once

No it isn't. :-)

| I was asked to post to the group so that you could debate which of
| xmlproc or DocBook needs to be fixed.  It's not necessary to keep me
| abreast of the discussion, as I don't actually need validation for my
| application.

These are all xmlproc bugs, IMHO.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

- --
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Our culture peculiarly honors the
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | act of blaming, which it takes as
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | the sign of virtue and