Re: Losing header rule when section titles are too long

I seem to be replying to my own posts a lot lately.  :-)

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 06:13:07PM +1030, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:

> When the <title> of a <sect?> gets too long to fit on a single line
> in the middle cell of the table that makes up the page header, it
> flows to a second line, making the table too tall, and hence pushing
> the border-bottoms of the cells out of view with it.  I assume this
> has been discussed before, though could not find a solution in the
> list archive.  Can I do something as simple as truncate the length
> of the middle cell's contents when it's created in pagesetup.xsl
> (though I guess the followup question is where would I truncate it)?
> Does anyone have a nicer solution for this, or should I shorten my
> section titles?

Someone suggested (off-list) that I use <titleabbrev> -- I am quite
embarrassed I did not think of this myself.  I now want to add a
customisation to use <titleabbrev> instead of <title> in the running
headers, if the former element exists.  I just can't seem to see where
to do this: I started at the header.table template in pagesetup.xsl,
and I'm now in sections.xsl.  Where is the section.heading template
getting the $title parameter from?  I am thinking I want to set $title
to titleabbrev in preference to title -- is this the right approach?

I am happy to press on, but I assume this is a wheel someone has
invented before.

--
Paul.

mailto:paulh@logicsquad.net