Re: Is it time to rely on CSS?

Paul Grosso wrote:
<snip/>
On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:21:43PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
 "Why are you doing X? You should be using CSS."
<snip/>
But CSS use can happen in three levels:
1.  in the style attribute
2.  in the <style> element
3.  in a separate stylesheet.

<snip/>
I'm not sure what Norm's message was implying--Norm, can you
elaborate?
Yes, I was going to ask for more specifics, too. As is implied by the responses to far, the support is patchy and inconsistent across browsers. It would be helpful to know in some level of detail what elements are candidates for change. My sense is it's a rats nest of complexity and contradictory capabilities; not to mention the various hacks that are being used to hide and reveal styling to various browsers.

In the development and customization of CSS, some people like to work with the styles in the header because it permits slightly more immediate feedback. When the work is done however, it can be nice to be able to move (some or all) of the finished specifications out, to one or more external files.

Does this imply a switch of some sort that allows suppression of default CSS styling after the system is settled down and in production? Interesting question.

Regards. ...edN