Re: Re: Is it time to rely on CSS?

At 10:51 AM -0600 1/21/03, Adam DiCarlo wrote:

I disagree.  Even Netscape 4, the worst standards-supporting browser
in use at all today (and obsolete too) supports much of CSS1.
You're kidding yourself. I routinely see older browsers in use going back as far as Netscape 1.1.

Even if Netscape 4 didn't support CSS1, why should we sacrifice the
convenience of style formatting for 95% of the authors/users because
of the bugginess of the 5% ?  Anyhow, even if the 5% can't see the
style, surely the document would still be legible to them.
I'm not willing to throw away 5% of readers to satisfy some ideological notion of HTML purity. I will only move forward to new technologies when they are truly ubiquitous or provide features I need that are simply not available using the old techniques. CSS doesn't meet that criteria. It doesn't help me do anything I need to do with my DocBook books I can't do with plain HTML.

| Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |