access key customization for TOC entries

I'm just starting to think about a customization to sdbk to html that would put an accesskey attribute pair into the toc entries generated by the xsl stylesheets. Admittedly, I haven't studied the stylesheets in depth at this point, but will be doing so over the next few days.

Presumably, the accesskey value would come from some attribute of the titles in the source file OR it could be coded into the title text itself with an inline of some sort. Say, <phrase> with an "accesskey" role?

I've seen two approaches to displaying accesskey information:
a) a GUI-like approach, with a spanned underline of the letter corresponding to the accesskey code, and
b) an letter entry, sometimes enclosed in brackets, inserted following the title text in the toc list. The later approach is probably more robustly accessible in terms of visual accommodation.

My questions:
* Has anyone already done anything like this who feels like sharing some code?
* If not, can anyone give me any pointers or heads-up or issues or gotchas items to keep me on track?

Thanks for your help. ...edN