clarify profiling logic

I'm getting unexpected profiling results and would appreciate some help.

I have two profiling attributes, audiencelevel and contentlevel (a general customized attribute). I'm trying to use value combinations of these attributes to filter my document.

My reading of Bob's manual at

http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/SpecialHandling.html#Profiling

is that, in order to be *included* in the profiled output, both attribute value conditions must be true; not one or the other.

For example, if I have two sections as follows:

<section audiencelevel="management" contentlevel="summary;detail">
</section>
<section audiencelevel="staff" contentlevel="summary;detail">
</section>

then I think I should be able to differentiate between these two sections with the following two parameter settings:

audiencelevel="management" contentlevel="summary;detail" versus
audiencelevel="staff" contentlevel="summary;detail"

In other words, the value of audiencelevel, in this case, should be sufficient to select one or the other section.

Further, if I wish to choose certain material *within* a section, I should be able to do something like:

audiencelevel="management" contentlevel="detail" to select this:

<para audiencelevel="management" contentlevel="detail">Assuming this is management level paragraph detail within the management audiencelevel section.</para>

The behaviour I'm getting from the profile.xsl stylesheet in the profiling directory for the latest version of the sheets seems to be giving me a logical OR rather than a logical AND.

Am I misunderstanding the behaviors? Confused in my logical design?

What is the intended behavior if one of the profiling attribute values is null?

Thanks for any clarification. ...edN