Customize (extend) DTD and XSL stylesheet

I am searching to find out how to possibly customize (extend) the DocBook DTD and XSL stylesheet to apply it on my XML documents/ebook. I need to structure the text content with my own defined additional XML elements and attributes, to prepare it for smart content search.

I have looked in chpt 4 and 5 of 'DocBook: The Definitive Guide', the article on xml.com and the DocBook XSL stylesheet docs. But I feel I need some simple examples and/or advices to clarify, especially regarding extending the DTD with a few additonal XML elements and attributes.

Do you know how or possible where I can find additional info/docs on this area?

Thank you,

Terje J.Hanssen
Mo i Rana of Norway