Re: Docbook setup on Debian 3.0

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 09:39:00AM -0500, Mike M wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 February 2003 03:42, Yann Dirson wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 07:52:49PM -0500, Mike M wrote:
> > > The wiki didn't discuss the setting up SGML_CATALOG_FILES
> > > environment var which took the most time for me.
> >
> > Sure it doesn't !  There should absolutely be no reason to tweak that
> > just to get running.  What's happennning when you unset
> > SGML_CATALOG_FILES ?
>
> I wish that were the case.  TDG makes a strong case for setting the var
> though.

In TDG you find generic instructions, which usually should be taken
care of by distribution packagers.  In Debian I never (or at least not
in the last few years) had to set this var.

> TDG section A.2.1 states:
> First, the catalog needs to be set up as described in Section A.1.3 in order
> for Jade to be able to parse your DocBook documents. In addition, Jade comes
> with its own catalog file that you must add to the SGML_CATALOG_FILES
> environment variable or otherwise make available to Jade.

In Debian the (open)jade catalog files are properly registered into
the system - unless the package version you use is buggy, or if its
configuration did not complete successfully without you noticing.

What does `ospcat -P "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN"' say ?

What does openjade say when you set SGML_CATALOG_FILES to /etc/sgml/catalog instead ?

What do "jade" and "openjade1.3" say when you use them instead ?

> export SGML_CATALOG_FILES="/usr/share/sgml/OpenJade/catalog" results in:

That shall not work, it jade would only know about the handful of
pubids for his own files.

--
Yann Dirson <Yann dot Dirson at fr dot alcove dot com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Technical support manager                Responsable de l'assistance technique