Re: Best authoring environments for publishing thousandsof Web pages in XML

> We do the checkout on Linux, and open the files in XMetal from the
> Samba share.  XMetal seems to handle the line endings ok.

Ie. it saves the files with the same line endings as it detected when
opening them?  What happens with new files?

For CVS to work well it's important that text files in the repository
has UNIX line endings.

> For those who want to examine the xml text on Windows, I tell them
> to get Cygwin with vim, which handles different line endings.

Another possibility is the Win32 version (ie. non-cygwin) of GNU
Emacs, which also handles different line endings.

It's also possible to make CygWin operate with DOS line endings on
text files, and do the CVS checkout from Windows:
	<URL:http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#MOUNT-TABLE >

This is btw what I do when testing Win32 based Authoring tools like
eg. Authentic.  My current editing takes place with Emacs/psgml on
linux.

Looks like XMetal has the possibility for a trial download.  But even
if it does check out as a possible DocBook XML editing tool, it has a
pretty steep price, with around USD500 a piece.