Subject: FO, FOP and PDF
Author:  "Olson, Dave -Systems" <Dave dot Olson at itt dot com> at STS
Date:    18/03/03 00:37

       I'm embarking on a project to generate documentation in PDF,
       among other
       formats, and I'm hoping to use FOP.  Docbook seems to cover all
       our needed
       features, but after Norm Walsh's comment that "FOP isn't very
       robust or
       complete yet," I'm wondering what level of effort I'm getting
       into.

       We need to do the following:
       -TOCs (page numbers)
       -index (links or page numbers)
       -lists of figures (links or page numbers)
       -tables
       -embedded images (PNG & GIF)
       -bulleted and numbered lists
       -nested sections, preferably auto numbered.

       I assume I'll need to learn a moderate amount about XML-FO and
       stylesheet
       transformations, and probably modify the DocBook XSL to some
       degree to get
       around FOP quirks, but is it realistic to expect to achieve the
       above
       features with the current version of FOP?  I've read the
       limitations, and
       they seem bearable, but I don't know all the FO features I may
       need.  Is
       this a month project, a six-month effort, or a "FOP just can't
       do that"?  (I
       have 10 years programming experience, but XML is mostly new.)

       If FOP is still too immature, can anyone recommend another
       Docbook->something->PDF generator that is redistributable?
       (We're hoping to
       avoid TeX and C++.)

       Thanks,
       David Olson

       ************************************
       If this email is not intended for you, or you are not
       responsible for the
       delivery of this message to the addressee, please note that
       this message may
       contain ITT Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a
       case, you may not
       copy or deliver this message to anyone.  You should destroy
       this message and
       kindly notify the sender by reply email.  Information contained
       in this
       message that does not relate to the business of ITT is neither
       endorsed by
       nor attributable to ITT.