Re: [Fwd: [docbook-apps] fop runs forever on the fo from a simple variablelist]

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 04:48:28PM -0500, David Bridgeland wrote:
> Bob,
>
> After some conversation on fop-user, the problem is now clear. It is
> both a desert topping and a floor wax: both a (known) FOP bug, and
> (apparently) a bug in the docbook fo XSLs. The offending FO is this:
>
>     <fo:list-block id="id385546"
>     *provisional-distance-between-starts="1em"*
>     provisional-label-separation="0.25in" space-before.optimum="1em"
>     space-before.minimum="0.8em" space-before.maximum="1.2em"
>     space-after.optimum="1em" space-after.minimum="0.8em"
>     space-after.maximum="1.2em">
>
> 1em is too small a value for the provisional-distance-between-starts.
> FOP loops forever, trying to fit the labels in that tiny column --- the
> FOP bug. But the value for provisional-distance-between-starts should be
> larger --- the bug in the docbook fo XSL?
>
> When I specify the termlength for the variables (e.g. as "0.5in"), this
> appears to override the default 1em, and great-looking PDF is produced.

OK.  In the absence of
a term width specification, the stylesheet counts characters
in the terms and sets the width to match the longest, with units em.
In your example, the "p" term produced a width of 1em.

I still consider it a bug, however, because it should be
1em plus a little extra for breathing room.

                                            email: bobs at sco dot com