[docbook-apps] Re: XHTML and chunking parameters

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 08:36:55 +0100 Norman Walsh <ndw at nwalsh dot com> wrote:

> / Bob Stayton <bobs at sco dot com> was heard to say:
> | On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 02:22:54AM +1100, Geoff Leach wrote:
> [...]
> |> The slides stylesheets use write.chunk extensively, which uses
> |> chunker parameters declared in chunker.xsl:
> |>
> |> chunker.output.cdata-section-elements
> |> chunker.output.doctype-public
> |> chunker.output.doctype-system
> |> chunker.output.encoding
> |> chunker.output.indent
> |> chunker.output.media-type
> |> chunker.output.method
> |> chunker.output.omit-xml-declaration
> |> chunker.output.standalone
> |>
> |> The html2xhtml.xsl transformation modifies chunker.outout.method to
> |> 'xml' but does not change the other chunker parameters.
> |>
> |> The docbook/xsl/xhtmlhtml2xhtml.xsl transformation sets xsl:output as
> |> (reformatted for easy reading):
> |>
> |> <xsl:output method="xml"
> |> encoding="UTF-8"
> |> doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
> |> doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"/>
> |>
> |> and it these doctypes which get used- at least in my testing with
> |> Saxon 6.5.2. My understanding is that they are inherited by
> |> saxon:output which (I think) actually does the output (serialization?).
> |>
> |> Is there a reason for not modifying the other chunker parameters,
> |> and relying on xsl:output?
> |>
> |> It wouldnt be hard to set values for the chunker parameters in a
> |> customization layer. But is it more appropriate they get modified by
> |> html2xhtml (in both the DocBook and the slides stylesheets)?
> |>
> |> There's another reason I'm interested in the chunker parameters to
> |> do with validation but I'll pop that into another post ...
> |
> | I agree. I went ahead and filed an RFE on SourceForge
> | for this (#693732).
>
> I was looking at this RFE on the plane a couple of days ago and I'm
> confused by it. What other parameters do you think should be modified,
> and how?

The parameters I had in mind when I originally asked about whether
it was appropriate to set them in the html2xhtml translation are

chunker.output.doctype-public
chunker.output.doctype-system
chunker.output.encoding

to be set (respectively) to

'-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN'
'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd'
'UTF-8'

These are the same values for which html2xhtml.xsl sets attributes of
xsl:output.  html2xhtml.xsl sets/changes chunker.output.method to 'xml',
giving it the same value as the xsl:output method attribute, but the
value of the three chunker parameters above, which also have
corresponding attributes of xsl:output, are not set/changed. So
in part I wondered about consistency.

I was also unclear about the seeming dual mechanisms (chunker
parameters, xsl:output attributes) for setting values of the public
and system identifiers of the doctype.

In my original post I was seeking clarification rather than suggesting
that the chunking parameters should be set in the html2xhtml
translation. I'm clearer about it now (I think) - xsl:output acts as a
global default, which can be overriden by the chunker parameters. Is
that right?

I was experimenting with different output doctypes, including XHTML
1.0 strict, XHTML 1.1, XHTML+MathML+SVG and I was modifying xsl:output
attributes - which are visible in the slides stylesheets - before I
found that I could use the chunker parameters.

Geoff