Re: [docbook-apps] Using foot variable to help control page footer?

> I'm not clear how a simple parameter would be used
> for header and footer.  A template is currently used
> because the content of the headers and footers needs to be
> flexible.  There are three page positions (left, center,
> right), several sequence positions (odd, even, first,
> blank), and several page classes (titlepage, lot, front,
> body, back, index).  These can be used in many combinations
> with different content.  The template mechanism uses
> xsl:if and xsl:choose to provide the logic mechanism
> for selecting content.  It is awkward and requires XSL
> programming, but it is flexible enough to handle all
> those cases.  If you can come up with a simpler scheme,
> I think a lot of people would appreciate it.

Good points.  You can break down the main template to call other
parameters, such as "footer.left.odd", etc.  The current template is a
bit heavy if I just want to put a string on the left footer.  I had to
copy the whole template and place it in my driver file, which is fine.
It's not that intuitive for beginning users, or users that want to get
up to speed quickly.

Anyway, having the main footer template do what it does best, that is,
decide which parameter to call (such as "footer.left.odd").  Allow me
then to override the parameter (or template, I supposed) that just
presents the string I want.

If that doesn't make sense, I'll post a patch that can show it.

I'm just trying to make it really easy to do: "You want something on the
left of the footer?  Set this parameter."  I definitely appreciate the
flexibility the current system has.

Thanks for discussing this with me,
Seth