Re: [docbook-apps] HTMLHelp: Can 'Location' in the index be more specific?

Hi Jirka,

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 09:21:54PM +0200, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
>
> >When viewing a compiled HTML Help file, if I double-click on an index
> >entry that has more than one index term in the text, a window pops up
> >entitled 'Topics Found'.  This then displays two columns: 'Title'
> >which contains the term, and 'Location'.  Currently, 'Location' just
> >displays the name of the whole document -- is there a way to have this
> >pointing to, say, the nearest section title?  The links work fine,
> >it's just that they're all labelled the same way.
>
> Unfortunately you hit the limitation of HTML Help (or at least I don't
> know any workaround for it). Index can point to precise location of
> term, but you will lost section titles. Second possibility is to have
> correct section titles in pop-up window but indexterm will point to
> whole section containing term. You can select between this two
> possibilities by setting $htmlhelp.use.hhk parameter to 0 or 1.

Thanks for the answer.  I subsequently found some HTML Help files
produced by Microsoft, and saw that section titles could be included
in the "Title" column, but it wasn't obvious to me that the result of
that was losing the precise link to the term.

On the topic of indexing HTML Help, I am consistently getting the
following error from hhc.exe:

HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling ix01.html.

The compiled file seems to work fine.  Is this an error to worry
about?

--
Paul.

mailto:paulh@logicsquad.net