Re: [docbook-apps] two-column problem

> Hi Bob,
>
> I had this problem, too. It is a bug in the XSL:FO specification. Only
> elemets that are direct childs of fo:flow can span columns.
> This was discussed here some time ago:
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/2003-q2/msg00066.html
>
> however, you could try Antenna House XSL Formatter
> http://www.antennahouse.com/ which (If I remember correctly) does not
> follow this specification bug.

Hi,

while it is said in XSL FO Recommendation, I hardly view it as a bug.
It is required (and it is done thoughtfully) that blocks with span="all"
be direct children of a flow. Otherwise, spanning multiple columns
breaks XSL FO areas model.

The bug is in XSL FO stylesheets, and, in my opinion, it should be
fixed. If Antenna House demonstrates a non-compliant behaviour,
it can be used in the corresponding customization level; but the
base stylesheets should not rely on it.

David